When it comes down to cleaning your Airbnb or short-term rentals, you cannot leave stones unturned. Cleanliness is directly proportional to the comfort and satisfaction of your clients. Hence, besides keeping your bookings and maintaining good communication with your guests, keeping the space in good shape is paramount.
Whether you use it occasionally for yourself or you put it out on rental, it is not ideal for people to come into a mess. Aside from the fact that your guests deserve the best services, cleaning your Airbnb could increase your ratings and make people come back.
Furthermore, many potential guests look out for comments like ‘the space is very neat and tidy’ in online reviews. So, all you need do is keep things smooth. Although you cannot predict their reaction, the best thing to do is stay prepared. Therefore, to guarantee that your rental space stays ready for the next guest, consider prioritizing the cleaning of the following areas;
When people are in a new environment, the bathroom is one of the most frequently visited room. There is no feeling as worse as being uncomfortable in one; it is simply repulsive. You want to make sure this never happens to your guest, no matter how messy it gets.
- First, remove soap scum from showerheads. This is an area people tend to neglect because it’s hard to notice. However, it’s noticeable to visitors. Use a superior cleaning product. If you have trouble getting the scum off, consider using a sponge and vinegar. You could also allow the product to stay for a while as you clean other parts of the bathroom.
- Touch-up the vanity and make sure it’s free of dust or hair strands. You want to go on the inside, make sure the cabinet is fully stocked. If you don’t have them already, you could consider including items like a hairdryer, first aid kit, extra towels, washcloths, and even make-up removal items. Then, clean the surface.
- Next is the toilet. It gets tricky here because of the exteriors. Sometimes, due to neglect, its outer part has many dirty residues, so you want to be cautious there. Wash the surface without leaving out the interior.
- Sanitize. After this, you may check back on the showerhead and the shower itself.
- Wipe the wall or tiles clean too, as they often have hair remains on them. Check the bathtub for hair residue and take it out.
- Go for the shower curtain next. Replace it if you need to; if you have a glass shower, make sure you wipe it clean.
- Check that water is flowing through all inlets and outlets.
- Top up on shampoos and conditioners, make sure that at least they’re half-full. Don’t forget the drainage. They tend to have clogs that make it difficult for them to function effectively. Apply a mixture of baking soda and water to the drainage for clog removal.
- Lastly, clean the floor as they could harbor stubborn stains as a result of hard water.
The kitchen is where some visitors spend the bulk of their time because they want to get the best of the cuisine, especially if they’re visiting the location for the first time. Since this is not a hotel with room food service, many travelers often cook their meals using locally sourced food. Therefore, you should not leave the kitchen in lousy shape.
You want to check the freezer first. Clear out all leftover items and clean the interior and exterior surfaces. Then, restock.
- Clean the oven and mop off any spillage. Inspect the cabinets and make sure all marks are cleared off. Ensure that the cabinet is appropriately organized and lacks no item.
- Check that all appliances in the kitchen are functional and empty them of leftovers.
- Look under the sink and clean it if there is dust or cobwebs.
- Top-up on kitchen amenities without leaving out dishwashing liquid or detergent.
- If you have open shelves, make sure they’re neatly displayed and free of dirt. Also, clean the floor and keep the kitchen trash-free.
- Empty the dishwasher and keep kitchen benches clean.
The floor is probably the first thing anyone will notice about an Airbnb, especially when it has an attractive design. You want to be thorough while cleaning them.
Floors are preferably the last place to clean because while cleaning other areas, the floor gets messy. Consider sweeping first, then vacuum if you use a carpet. Otherwise, use a Swiffer to remove stubborn stains.
On the other hand, you could deep wash rugs and polish the floor if you have wooden flooring. This is a great way for your Airbnb cleaning service to stand out from the rest.
Metallic Surfaces and Glass
We’re in the habit of checking our reflection even when it’s not intentional. People can’t help but notice such surfaces and so these should be spotless.
If there are mirrors, glass doors or windows, or metallic surfaces, they’re the focus. Often, such areas have watermarks or fingerprints on them, and seeing such marks is never lovely.
For mirrors, you could use soap and water. However, it may not always work because soaps tend to leave lathering marks on surfaces if not rinsed sufficiently. Instead, consider using a glass cleaner spray and wipe down with a newspaper.
Rooms and Common Spaces
After a day out, your visitors will crave the comfort of a bed or some relaxation time in the common rooms, so you want to clean them with extra care. Cleaning the room begins with stripping beddings of linens and changing them into fresh ones. Then, you make the beds and take out leftovers from the previous user. Take items off the sofa and sofa cushion; sometimes, you find pins or pieces of paper on them, so you want to be extra careful.
Also, work on other fixtures and make sure they are of best shape;
- Display items and artwork
- Bedside lamps
- Windows and blinds
Overall, check that everything is in its place. Sometimes, even if you have a rule against moving things, visitors may not return stuff to their original positions. So, put them back. A practical method is taking a detailed shot of how they were arranged to know how you want it to be. Sometimes, you may decide on a change. Thus, resetting the room or switching up the design to taste may suffice.
Lastly, while the process of traveling and bookings could determine the overall experience of any visitor, the quality of your Airbnb space determines whether they recommend your services or leave a positive review. With that in mind, your space should be nothing short of inviting. As a host, provide consistent and quality services while scheduling a general cleaning twice or thrice a year or as frequently as you need it. TurnoverBnB makes scheduling and paying Airbnb cleaners easier than ever.